Thread: First ereader
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshlyBakedPies View Post
I've been buying ebooks for a few months now, I really like just having any novel I want almost instantly. But reading on my notebook is not very enjoyable, and also makes my lap warm.

I've been reading and watching reviews, even demo'd a few at a local place, the past of few weeks, but I still can't decide between Glo and the PW.
  • The Glo, big fan of the new firmware with the Aura-like menu. Lots of customization, seems to handle PDFs more to my liking. More formats, mainly epub/cbr support.Not too fond of the large header and footer. Potentially buggy, Kobo customer service poorly rated but I have no personal experience. It's $30 cheaper at ~ $115
  • The Paperwhite.. (with no way to try out one, this is all based on a lot of videos from Youtube.) Seems more responsive, better highlightning. Less customization, locked to mobi, no Canadian libraries (yet?) Can't say whether the uneven light will bother me, hard to tell from videos and pictures. Amazon support supposedly better, but again no personal experience. ~$145

So that seems quite harsh on the Kindle, but I don't know, a lot of appeal for me is just Amazon. They're huge, it's the one everyone talks about (even my 92 year old grandfather), it's gotta be good. But that comes with a premium, hence my dilemna.

I was originally planning to get something much less expensive, as I was worried about the failure rates of these things. But I don't know.. enjoying my ereader for a year or being unhappy for three or four.

The mini is just adorable, and it reads fine, but it's hard to know if the small screen will become a problem for me during a several hour reading session. ~$50

The touch feels a bit slow, and to me seems like it has less contrast. To be fair it is two years old. Very reasonably priced, however. ~$80
Had the Paperwhite for a week, hated the uneven lighting, returned it and got the Aura. Love it. This was my first ereader purchase.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote