View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #82
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinxer View Post
Yes It's a Kindle Touch 3G. The internal flash memory's speed is up to 8MB/s or something like that i guess. It is impossible to take less than half a minute to flash the image.
Are you sure that it is that slow? Modern flash devices are limited by the communications channel, not by the media. That is why new SSDs (Solid State Disks) use SATA-3, and ordinary USB flash drives now come with USB 3 (much faster than 480Mbps USB 2). I would need to look up the MMC part specs to know how fast it is. It is possible that it is slow because all the ECC error correction, bad block detection, and write wear leveling (if used) is handled in software on the kindles, so the speed limit may be determined by software rather than mmc chip specifications. You can read details about this in the freescale documentation for the iMX50 CPU SoC used in the K4NT and Touch, and in the source code.

P.S. I really need some sleep before I try using fastboot to reflash my touch to repair the damaged /var/local/mntusb.params file. It is a new idea to me to make CHANGES to a partition by flashing an image file that has those changes preinstalled. I think that this is a GOOD idea.

UPDATE: I have a serial port connection on my touch now. When I use fastboot to flash an image file to the system (or other) partition, the serial port shows a message that it flashed mmcblk0 (which contains linux kernels for main and diags). When I try to boot main or diags is says "linux kernel not found", which confirst that mmcblk0 does appear to have been overwritten with the wrong data. That could also explain why if quits with a "success" message much too quickly. For now, I recommend booting to diags and using the dd command in a RUNME.sh script file to write an mmcblk0p1.img file on the USB drive to /dev/mmcblk0p1, as described in later posts in this thread, and in the "Fastboot Manifesto" thread.

P.S. In English, "rubish" means "in the manner of a rube, or rube-like". It can also mean "Rube Goldberg-like" (i.e. overly complex). Rube: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rube - Rube Goldberg: http://www.dictionaryslang.com/Rube%20Goldberg. "Rubbish" (different word) means "garbage", implying grossly incorrect or useless - how can asking questions and stating known facts be considered "garbage"? So, the next post below must be calling somebody a "rube". What's up, ItsMee?

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-27-2012 at 06:44 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote