View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #771
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've just updated my list for 2012 and there's good news, bad news, and neutral news.

I read 27 books about/from different countries, exceeding my goal by two. On the other hand, even if I finish the two PBs I'm reading (and I'm going to try), at 24 I'll still be short by one of my goal. And if I finish those books, it will bring my total books read to 111, which comfortably exceeds my benchmark of 100, but falls short of last year's total by a whopping 20 books. This last is partially because I was busier and tireder, but also because I read slightly less trash.

I'm pleased with my challenges and how they played out, even if I didn't quite succeed. The many countries was a blast and even though I won't be repeating it in 2013, I'm going to be mindful of it. And at 24 PBs (I hope), the challenge really spurred me; I suspect close to 20 of those books wouldn't have been read without it and some of them made my best of the year list.

I'm going to air a view contrary to one expressed more than once about reading challenges: the bottom line is that I read whatever I want at any given time; length in particular is not a criterion. The challenges give focus to some of my reading, help get me out of ruts, and heighten my enjoyment immensely. I've gotten a lot from the challenges of the past two years and I'm looking forward to my challenges for next year.
Congratulations on your successes.

I really like how you summed up the challenges. I think it is a prime example of what a reading challenge should be. May I quote you on that?

I especially agree with the focus. My 2011 challenge was supposed to be just to see where I was. My 2012 challenge was very ambitious, for me, concentrating on all of the series I like/want to read, but not really allowing for "free" reading. At times it felt like a chore.

With 2013 I'm specifically trying for both moderation and motivation.

I have always loved reading, but not always given it the priority and time it deserves. I'm hoping, with my simplifying my goals, that I will get myself back into the habit of just reading, on a consistant basis.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote