View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thumbs up Getting Franklin eBookMan 911 To Work On Vista

I found this information on the anythingbutipod forum via a Google search. I hope it is okay to quote because I tried it and was finally able to get my eBookMan to work (and realized that I hadn't used the thing in at least 6-7 years, so now I've got to relearn it ).

Quote:
By Jethro:
One of my favorite mobile devices is the eBookMan, so I was pretty bummed when Ectaco stated it was not compatible with Vista.
Here is a workaround to get the software and drivers working with Vista.
I originally installed the software under administrative rights and ran into some problems, so I reinstalled it open to all users.
During the install, Vista will automatically format and reinstall the eBookMan OS, so all data on your EBM should be saved.

Download the eBookMan software(drivers are included), and set it to install under XP Compatibility.
Right Click on ebookman_install_pc_en_full.exe > Select Properties > Compatibility Tab > Run this program in XP Compatibility.
Keep administrator unchecked.

***[I would also add, click on "Show Settings For All Users" (also on the Compatibility tab) and click "Run this program in XP compatibility" there, too]***

Vista will not recognize the drivers, so they must be installed through Windows Device Manager.
Be sure to have the eBookMan plugged into the USB port and turned on.

***[When you turn on the eBookMan in its cradle, Vista is going to ask you if you want to install the drivers. I chose the "ask me next time" option, so that it wouldn't do anything on its own and I could follow the instructions that follow. Don't know if that really makes a difference or not, but I wanted to follow the instructions as closely as possible.]***

Right click on My Computer, Manage and then Device Manager.
Look for eBookMan, double-click it, and select the driver tab and "Update Driver".
Point to C:\Program files\Franklin Electronic Publishers\eBookMan Desktop Manager\usbdriver.
A warning will pop up, select "install this driver anyway".
Once the drivers are installed, open eBookMan Desktop Manager and wizard through the setup. For the latest OS, install from the Internet.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...vista+ebookman

All honor to Jethro!

I was finally, finally able to reload the OS by using the Desktop Manager and accessing "My Updates". I downloaded the file, rather than just running it, so that I can keep a copy of it in case of future screwups, since the only way it seems you can download the OS is by having a connected eBookMan make an online handshake.

I did find that there was no automatic "Library" folder set up where it was supposed to be under C > Program Files > Franklin... > eBookMan Desktop...> Data, so I created one. I haven't yet tried to download new books to the MMC I have in the 911. It did read the books I currently have on that old card.

I also had to sychronize the contents of the eBookMan into the Contents folder on the computer.

Hope this information helps someone.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote