View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #52
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I couldn't finish Kushiel's Dart, and it wasn't really the BDSM stuff that was offputting so much as the fact that the entire universe conspired to beat up on poor Phèdre. My emotional reaction was much like when I read Lord Foul's Bane. I just couldn't like the main character.
New thread? Books with protagonists you couldn't like? S. M. Stirling's "The Change" novels. I hated them for so many very good reasons, but the main one was that I found each of the main characters intensely unlikeable. The only thing that kept me turning the pages was the faint hope that Juniper or Havel would meet a gruesome death on the next page. Spoiler: at least Stirling killed Havel. I cheered. Those books went immediately into the "Used Book Delivery Bin". I recall physically frisbee'ing the last one into the box with a nice thunk and a loud "so mote it be!"

The "Island in the Stream of Time" series was better, somewhat. Still childish/adolescent but with characters that were at least likable.

I started reading Stirling with a book about an alternate universe California, not part of either/any series, and I liked it, and hoped the other books he'd written would be as good. They weren't.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote