View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
petercrowell
Connoisseur
petercrowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Possibly you should have an # in place of the %23 since that's an anchor fragment, even though technically, you're supposed to be able to substitute numerical references like that in URIs. It may be something that KindleGen & KPreviewer can deal with, but that the online thing that Amazon uses chokes upon.

* Shaken, not stirred.
First, thank you again ATDrake. This answer is so helpful. Now I understand the basic process fully. I uploaded only the .mobi and all is well there.

Regarding the # vs. % question, I changed to the # in these two places in the .opf guide section, one the original url in question, the second only because it also had a %:

<guide>

<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="book.html#23TOC"></reference>

<reference type="start" title="Startup Page" href="book.html#23start"></reference>

</guide>

However, when I regenerated the .mobi it was created with warnings, telling me those two urls cannot be resolved.

When I upload to the kindle site for testing on that previewer, the toc does not appear at all when I click the toc link.

On the other hand, the progress bar at the bottom is functioning.

So here's the breakdown:

#
.mobi generated with warnings (url could not be resolved)

Online previewer toc does not appear
progress bar funcitons

Desktop version of previewer toc appears and is clickable
progress bar does not function

%
.mobi generated successfully, no warnings

Online previewer toc appears but is not clickable
progress bar does not function

Desktop version of previewer, everything works fine.

I think I'd feel better with the version that works best in the desktop previewer, since that's closer to the Kindle itself.

What do you think?
petercrowell is offline   Reply With Quote