View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Depends on exactly what install disk you're using. The OEM disks are usually dirt simple. At most, you have to install drivers from a second disk. But even retail versions, so long as you have the drivers for hardware newer than the install disk, I don't get why people have so much trouble. The only issues I've ever had, from 98 on, was when I don't have a driver handy for a (built-in) network card. And that can be solved by throwing in a second card long enough to download drivers for the first one. Once you're online, all the world is at your fingertips, provided your hardware isn't so old that nobod ever bothered to write drivers for newer versions of Windows.
With something like Ubuntu, you install the operating system and your computer is usually ready to go: there are no additional drivers to install and the basic applications are there. If you want additional software, there's a nice package manager to show you what's available. The package manager also does it's job in a consistent manner and with minimal interaction. Even Windows 8 is nowhere near as simple, never mind Windows XP and earlier. Recent versions of Mac OS X are better in most respects, but most users will still find themselves tracking down software that's not in the Mac App Store.

Now I understand that things aren't always that simple in Ubuntu-land, but Canonical does a good job of making it that simple for most users.