View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I need to work through the tutorials a bit more before asking stupid questions here. For instance, I would love to know how to WRAP text around pictures inside the Sigil editing window, in stead of being limited to the no-wrap setting (the default setting?). I'm sure the answer will crop up in the tutorials, at least I hope it does ...

Regarding the matter of cover page display on a widescreen PC monitor, I tried to produce an epub by using the writer2epub extension available for LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice -- just to see what happens to the cover page when displayed on a widescreen PC monitor.

The writer2epub extension did not produce an epub containing the pictures I inserted into the OpenOffice source document. But writer2epub did use the first picture inserted into the OpenOffice source document to create a cover page. Leaving the questions about the absence of pictures in the writer2epub-produced epub aside, the cover page created by writer2epub displays with a black background on a widescreen PC monitor. This is of course ideal. (See the attachment.)

If this writer2epub-created epub is imported into Sigil, the cover page html can be left as is and your Sigil-produced cover will have the same black background.

Another interesting thing is that writer2epub does reproduce footnotes created in the OpenOffice source document. However, they are reproduced as "endnotes". When you import the writer2epub-produced epub into Sigil, these "endnotes" are contained in a separate html, and they are displayed as "endnotes" in the Sigil-reproduced epub.

I don't of course suggest using OpenOffice and writer2epub as in-between programs: it would be a bit crazy to work like that. I would much rather know how to produce that black background (or a background with another colour) using Sigil itself. HOW DO I DO THAT?

PS To position the cover in the centre of the widescreen PC monitor display, you must simply centre the picture inside Sigil. In Sigil, do Ctrl-E.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover with dark background.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	104332  

Last edited by ecbritz; 04-13-2013 at 08:17 PM.
ecbritz is offline   Reply With Quote