View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
Thanks for the quick response theducks. This is just a regular non-drm epub. There's about a half inch of margin on each side. It makes it so it's like reading a column in a magazine rather than a book. I've seen Sigil mentioned in other threads but I didn't know what it was and assumed it was some kind of inside joke or acronym or something. I googled it and I guess you are referring to the epub editor. I wouldn't know what the code or stylesheet entries are or what to change. I was just looking for an easy way to reduce the size of the margins and thought I was doing something wrong.
Thanks again
It is the next forum down from Calibre

EPUB XHTML is not difficult (for the basic stuff most books have. Drop in at the EPUB group to see the really stuff the Gurus can do)
find your text that is not optimum
EPUB is boxes within boxes...
all you have to do is find what controls the box that makes it go wrong.
You are usually looking for a class="name" statement in the tag
looking in the stylesheet, you locate:
Code:
.name {  stuff.; margin-left: 1in; more stuff..}
The red is the item, the green is the value (NB 1in is not a good choice as it does not scale. Use pt or em. 0 values have no units).
if you see a "padding" value, that may affect things also (I sometimes put padding around images, so that the text does not start right against them)

all you need to do is reverse engineer the nested classes (inside to outer)

body
div (optional)
p
span? (I don't think margin applies)
Margin starts at the next layer OUT
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote