View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
There is a collected edition of Shaw's plays available on Amazon--The Plays of Shaw (20+ Plays) [Kindle Edition]. I got it because it seems the only collection {not complete BTW} available for a reasonable price ($1.23). As the reviews indicate, there are some formatting problems, though Arms and the Man does not itself seem to have any, reads well, and has an interesting introduction. It's the type of collection that I am willing to put up with until Delphi or Halcyon come out with something really good.

On the other hand, the PG version is adequately formatted and free. It does not have a TOC so one must make use of bookmarks for navigation. Since the play is only 72 pages long, this isn't really that much of a problem. It also has an introduction. I noticed that the PG version in Many Books was actually nicer to read than the version direct from PG.

If you're willing to spend $12.91, Amazon's Kindle edition of Plays Pleasant is a selection of plays by Shaw--including Arms and the Man--and judging by the sample it is certainly well formatted. There is one two star review but it's by someone who clearly doesn't like Shaw, as the criticisms were of Shaw's writing--not the formatting.

Though Shaw's star has dimmed since his death, he is well worth reading and far more a lateral thinker thematically than many modern writers and dramatists.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-07-2012 at 07:12 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote