View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Jerome, Jerome K.: Idle Ideas in 1905. v2. 24 May 2012

Jerome is best known for his humorous travelogue "Three Men in a Boat" (1889).

Here is a third collection of twenty-one essays from that Idle Fellow. Jerome offers his opinions on music and literature, does a bit of traveling, and takes some wryly humorous looks at social and political issues of the day — many of the points discussed still ring true today, more than a century later.

-----
A very brief excerpt:

Quote:
If you would see Holland outside the big towns a smattering of Dutch is necessary. If you know German there is not much difficulty. Dutch — I speak as an amateur — appears to be very bad German mis-pronounced. Myself, I find my German goes well in Holland, even better than in Germany. The Anglo-Saxon should not attempt the Dutch G. It is hopeless to think of succeeding, and the attempt has been known to produce internal rupture. The Dutchman appears to keep his G in his stomach, and to haul it up when wanted. Myself, I find the ordinary G, preceded by a hiccough and followed by a sob, the nearest I can get to it. But they tell me it is not quite right, yet.
-------

I hope you enjoy this.

-------
EDIT--- uploaded v2 with format improvements.
previous version: 76 downloads
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Jerome-IdleIdeasIn1905--v2.epub (327.9 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-24-2012 at 05:36 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote