View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #676
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am not sure the charge continues once the "remove plug" icon appears.
"Conditioning" batteries was a NiCd thing. Li batteries were supposede :^) to cure this problem.
Well, I'm not sure about this, but here is my understanding (guess?).

Yes, its true that Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect. However, battery tech has gotten 'smart'. Over charging a battery can fry a battery. As a result they use a system that senses how much charge is in the battery and how much charge is needed so that it does not overcharge. When the battery is full it stops the current going to the battery. In the case of the PPro, the three wires going to the battery (instead of two) are a sign that it uses a smart charging system.

So, when you are conditioning these systems, you aren't actually conditioning the battery. What you are doing is teaching the smart system how much charge the battery can hold.

However, I haven't actually tried to study this area. This is just what I've pieced together by reading between the lines. Hopefully, someone who knows what they are talking about will stop by and teach me the real answer .
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote