View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
deadpocketbook
deadpocketbook began at the beginning.

Device: dead pocketbook, kobo min
how to reset screen - stuck, not broken?

Ok, very weird and ironic day for me. Today there was a sale on the Kobo mini, and I picked one up to try it out and replace my aging Pocketbook 360. However I was going to give the pocketbook to a friend, or potentially keep it if I couldn't get used to the Kobo.

I plugged my pocketbook in tonight to transfer over some books, couldn't find my regular mini-usb so I used a travel cable that had changeable tips. I'd been using the micro-usb tip for another device that was fine, but hadn't used the Mini-usb tip. I plugged in the cable and the device turned on, but the bottom half of the screen was stuck with the boot image. The top half continued to respond as I interacted with the device. I don't know if at this point I unplugged the cable or it became loose, but at some point the top half went black with ghosting and lines, and now the whole screen is stuck. I've tried the reset button and unplugging the battery, NOTHING seems to help.

Could a bad USB cable, some kind of power surge actually damage the screen like that? It's sustained no physical damage and the timing corresponded with this bad cable.

Is there a way to force reset the screen? It's just so hard for me to believe that I killed the device just with a dodgy cable. I was able to transfer some files off via USB and the LED works so the device itself is working fine.

I guess there'd be worse times for it to die since I *just* bought the Kobo and I've had the Pocketbook for several years, but I really got my friend excited about a free ebook reader
deadpocketbook is offline   Reply With Quote