View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Good books don't always find publishers. I submit Courtney Milan as an example. She writes historical romances, excellent ones, well-edited and self-published. But her books frequently have middle-class (rather than nobility) heros and heroines, which most publishers don't like... gotta be nobility, and better yet if it's a duke. And she writes in the early Victorian era, when most publishers want Regency.

Now grant you, I'm as fond of a Regency-era duke as the next person, but I love, love, love Courtney Milan's work. Highly recommended.
She's a Harlequin author. What's self published books are you referring to?

Edit:
Ah I see after Googling. She left Harlequin because she wanted more money not because they didn't want to publisher her stories. She really isn't a example because she has the means and contacts to put out quality books herself. I'm sure she could of sold them but she prefer not to.

Now days it's the other way around. Indie authors are getting picked up by the big 6 left and right. Let's look at a few Jamie McGuire, S.C. Stephens, Kristen Ashley, Tammara Webber, Samantha Young and my personal fav, Samantha Towle. These all were indie authors and now are published authors.

Publishers right now don't know what they want. The readers are finally deciding it for them! You can check out this post by Dear Author that lists all the romance published deals from Indie authors that happen last year. Even more in the past two months have been picked up.

It's becoming if you see a Indie book on the NY Times bestseller list you can almost count on the book being picked up by a publisher.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-19-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote