View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #142
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I do not see myself using a "phablet". As a matter of fact, I think that all around, multipurpose devices excels on nothing.

If I want a camera, I get a DSLR. If I want a phone, I want a portable phone. If I want an ereader, I get a Kindle PW or an iPad Mini or iPad Air, but something that is good to my eyes and with less distractions as possible.

In my opinion, phablets are too big for being a phone and too small for being an ereader. I know people who loves them, but I think they are too bulky for being a portable device.

Technical books won't display properly on a phablet and that immediately takes that out of the equation, at least for those who read computer books with lines of code and things that require a bigger display.
I totally disagree. I also prefer a DSLR over a camera phone, but you know the saying, "the best camera is the one you have with you", and a phone is always in your pocket. Same goes for the eReader, I prefer eInk, but several times I found myself having to wait for something without my eInk device, and my phone came to the rescue. It's "only" 4.8", but serves me well, and I will certainly go larger when it's time to update.

The original phablet phone, the Note, was 5.3" - this is now becoming the norm, with most new phones (well, Android phones, that is), coming out with screens around 5" to 5.5", so what was considered large 2 years ago, is now mainstream. And I, for one, I'm pleased as a phone is both a production and consumption tool and having a larger screen makes things much more comfortable, like reading/replying emails, checking documents on the go, browsing the net and reading books.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote