View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. I'm not sure I see why the fact that the device can do a lot means that you won't do a single thing for an hour, Bob. I sat down for 2h yesterday to watch a movie on my iPod Touch without feeling to urge to stop every 5 minutes and look at the weather forecast or check my stock quotes, despite the fact that I could have done. Maybe I'm just wierd . Same was true when I used to read on a Pocket PC. The fact that you have lots of applications available to you doesn't mean that you're going to keep chopping and changing between them - does it?
The *GENERAL* pattern for most users is to use the available functions on a device (there are exceptions of course). The knowledge that iPhone can display movies, check weather forecasts, etc. will often induce a user to do so. I find it much easier to read a book on my eReader without distractions knowing that it has not other functions than say on my computer right now. On PC I can handle articles. Even then I copy longer articles to my reader.

Again, you may use a single function (like movie display) for several hours, sure enough. However, the temptation is always present to check e-mail, IM, FaceBook, etc. You might be more disciplined, not an average user.

Finally, the battery lifespan (or lack thereof) has a huge impact. Shorter lifespan will tend to encourage shorter activities. Thus a 6hr battery won't encourage book reading that requires more time. I cannot relax and read a bood if I have to keep checking battery all the time. In this respect my eReader is very different from Palm Zire71 and laptop. I no longer even think about battery and only check it once in a while.

For myself, active display and reading don't work. Others claim it is fine.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote