View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #2715
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A nice performance, but the caption says it is 'Il Silenzio', an Italian instrumental piece written in 1965 by trumpet player Nini Rosso.

According to Wikipedia, Taps "was arranged in its present form by the Union Army Brigadier General Daniel Butterfield […] in July 1862 to replace a previous French bugle call used to signal "lights out"."

It is thought to be based on the earlier 'Scott Tattoo', published in 1835.

The "Last Post" is a British bugle/trumpet piece, in use since at least the mid 1700s.
Please don't shoot the messenger. I was just repeating what was written under the video. I only know it as the short form, and really don't have any particular interest in its accurate history, only its music. 'Taps' is a stirring piece, and you can certainly hear the bits and pieces of it within the song being played by this young woman.

Considering that Wikipedia is an open-source reference that can be written by anyone who wishes to, I think it's a good idea to take any information with a gentle hand. We've seen all too often how inaccurate it can be.

EDIT: I just went back to the video, and the caption under it, copied and pasted is;
'Il Silencio' (The Silence) played by 13 year old Melissa Venema with André Rieu and his orchestra at the 'Vrijthof' in Maastricht.

I also looked up Nini Rosso... 'He' was born in 1926. 'He' looks remarkably well preserved in this video. Probably the Gender Transformation surgery had something to do with it...

But really, the idea is to LISTEN TO THE MUSIC, not to analyze the text.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 12-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote