View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
from the golden era i particularly like dorothy sayers lord peter wimsey novels - if only there were more of them, but the modern author who took up the series didn't do it for me.
Lord Peter Wimsey is, I think, my very favourite series of detective books. He seems like a real person to me; his character develops from book to book, and he's a person you CARE about. I've not yet read the Jill Patton Walsh Wimsey books. I know that the first two were based largely on Sayers's work; the most recent is entirely her own work.

Quote:
i actually prefer some of the ngaio marsh books to agatha christie, although some of ac's are darn good stuff.
I'm working my way through Ngaio Marsh's books at the moment - I've read the first five so far. Thus far I've not been terribly impressed; the stories seem a little superficial compared to Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers. I'll stick with them - perhaps they get better as they go on?

Other favourites of mine are Elizabeth Peters's "Amelia Peabody" stories, mostly set in Egypt at the turn of the 20th century, and Lindsay Davis's "Falco" books, set in 1st century Rome.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote