View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Basically the same terms Apple instituted for its ebook authoring software. Disappointing; sure, but hardly qualifies as any antitrust law violation in my eyes.
There are two key differences that make your argument dubious:

1. Apple does not have a near-monopoly on eBook sales. Amazon, on the other hand....

2. EPUB is a published open standard backed by a major standards body. I could create a compliant EPUB using nothing more than the basic tools that are built into my OS (text editor, ZIP tool) and sell it on Apple's store. Nobody is forcing or pressuring anyone to use iBooks Author.

MOBI, by contrast, is a poorly documented, mostly proprietary, binary format. Creating compliant MOBIs without kindlegen borders on impossible, and I've read reports of Amazon rejecting books created with other tools, so it sounds to me like they're basically trying to force everyone to use kindlegen.

So not the same situation at all. Not even close.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote