Thread: DR1000 Porting VNC
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by arikfunke View Post
Hi,

I would like to use a DR1000 to provide a sunlight-readable display updated via wifi.

Can anybody here comment on how difficult (and time-consuming) it would be port VNC to the DR1000?

I read the screen-refresh was one problem for the Iliad. Is this likely to be more difficult now or easier?

Many thanks,
Arik
Hi Arik,

There are some problems to solve:
- The DR1000 does not have an internal wifi-modem, so you would need an external one (or maybe there is room inside the DR, since once there was a DR1000 with wifi planned).
- The kernel is not build with that many network support, see also this thread where some people are trying to get usbnet working.
- When usbnet is working it should be possible (I guess) to connect an external ethernet to wifi module?
- Finally the VNC software needs to be ported ...

There might be other possibilities to reach your goal, but the current bottleneck seems to be getting ethernet/usbnet support on the DR1000 (it is working on the DR800).

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote