View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Gio
Gio began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Nook
Can't format Cybook

Hello there!

It's my first post here, but I've been a "lurker" for a very long time... ;-)

Anyway, I think I read every single post in the "troubleshooting" section and even tho part of my problem it's been discussed already (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46629), my actual problem is a bit different and I haven't found a solution yet.

Basically, after installing the new firmware I got the "checkered screen of death", but being a reader of this forum, I knew what to do: I formatted my cybook and then copy/pasted the system folder I had previously saved (just the system folder, not the others).

After that, everything seemed to work perfectly, I was able to use the folder view (yay, finally!) and everything seemed to work fine. [Important note: I have 99% of my books on the SD card and just a bunch of books on the internal memory so I didn't notice anything wrong right away].

BUT, after re-opening the cybook the day after, none of the settings I fixed (folder view, font size, etc) were still present, I re-sat the whole thing, then switched off the cybook and after re-opening... same problem, no settings saved.

So, I plugged the cybook on my PC to check the system folder and I saw that the other folders (Fonts, Music, eBooks, etc) weren't there, when I tried to copy/paste them into the cybook it wouldn't let me, it said something like "impossible to create or copy folder, disk is protected from writing" (I'm roughly translating from Italian).

When I tried to re-format the disk again, it said I couldn't do it because it's protected.

Any idea how I could fix it?

Other things I did:

- Re-installed the new firmware several times
- run the chkdsk on the cybook, everything looks fine
- Tried to run the cybook without the SD card (everything looks fine, except the cybook results empty, obviously)
- Checked out the bookmark feature (it works fine, it's just the general settings that don't stick!)

My cybook is 200 MHz
Version 6.0 (build 70)

Gio
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote