View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Forgive me today has been a blur to this beginner converter.

Now I remember why I was sticking to html, and why I am back to it. When I converted to epub in calibre, which I don't know how to fully use (only thing I changed was select output to jetBook), I had a couple of issues:

The first was insignificant, @ symbol comes out as an "S" with a squiggly thing on top of it. But then there were also quite a few places where a comma or period didn't follow the word, but started on the next line.

But worst of all, the author of my book uses well—em dashes a lot (try making that character on your keyboard). They are completely ignored in calibre's default epub conversion, and the words on either side of the em dash appear as one, sometimes several instances per page.

Also, I didn't know how to get a page-paragraph break either.

Sigil makes the paragraph break easy, but I noticed I apparently lost some <br>'s between a couple short verses before the Introduction. They were all spaced one after the other after the epub conversion. Sigil also suffered from the missing em dash problem, which makes the book unreadable for me.

My apologies to the creators of both pieces of software. I'm sure an experienced user wouldn't have these issues, or would know how to correct them.

So I'm back to html for now. After all, I knew all Along where the book begins...
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote