View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think what may be happening is that the bilingual personal documents are getting tagged as 'PT' (portuguese), and Vocabulary Builder is storing all the looked-up words with that language code. Since the English words (tagged as PT) don't appear in the portuguese dictionary, lookup fails. Monolingual books don't have this issue, at least if they have the correct language tag applied in the first place.

Obviously if you had to switch dictionaries to look up a word, it would be nice if Vocabulary Builder would record the word with the language code of the dictionary where lookup was successful. Then it could use the same dictionary for subsequent lookups. But it appears it is not doing that.

In theory language tags can be applied not just to entire documents, but to individual words, paragraphs, etc. in the source file (at least HTML source files). But again I don't know if Kindle pays attention at that level of granularity. I've been meaning to experiment to find out. But perhaps someone here has already done that and can tell us.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote