View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Given my druthers, the device--that is, a dedicated, or at least faithful with perhaps an occasionally wandering glance, device made for displaying primarily text and static images--would be an ebook, or an electronic book onibus-alacious compenditor.

Further, I refer to the documents that we avid simians view and turn the squiggles therein to abstract concepts as "digital texts." Besides providing clarity (if not concision), by utilising such a phrase, am removing the power that the publishing hegemony has over the reader as a subject by redefining the object in the relationship.

That is to say, I really do not care about the delivery system of the file or ideas therein, so I attempt to distance myself from referring to the electronic file as a 'book.' This is especially important when one considers that not every file is an actual novel or reference work, and could comprise merely a short story or whathaveyou.

There's quite a bit of whathaveyou flying about the interwebs these days.

@Yvan: a knife to read books? Thought that all the cellulose-devotees were big on preserving books. ;-)

Interesting to note that a word relating to reading can have so many connotations.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote