View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Hey,
after friting some Status with:
eips 2 10 "Hello World"
how can I delete it / refresh the screen without my message?
There are many ways to do this. When your code operates inside the framework, on newer kindles you can send a "power on" event with a "lipc-" command (details available by searching the forums). On older kindles you can send two Menu key press to refresh the display.

My code usually operates outside the framework, from diagnostics more, or during startup before the framework is loaded, so I use "eips" for most of my display management, just like the startup scripts do it. I usually save the framebuffer contents and restore it after I change it like this:
Code:
cat /dev/fb0 /mnt/us/fb0.raw  # save framebuffer
eips -c                       # clear display
eips 2 10 "Hello, world! "    # (row column message)
sleep 5                       # wait 5 seconds
cat /mnt/us /dev/fb0          # restore saved framebuffer
eips ''                       # refresh display (two single-quotes)
Notice that eips displays /dev/fb0 when called with two single-quotes. Clearing the display is optional. You can use the row and column values to position your text on top of an existing screen (column 0-49, row 0-39).

You can use eips for eInk display management from inside the framework too.

In the startup scripts there is a function library that you can "source" inside your scripts (just like the startup scripts do it), which gives you extra eips functions, like centering text on the display.

I hope that helps. Search the forums for more details. You can learn a lot about this by reading the startups scripts in your kindle (and more in the GPL source code you can download from amazon).

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-26-2012 at 07:31 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote