View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
mastermesh
mastermesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Been reading a lot on this lately.. I have a kindle keyboard 3g that we bought last year, and I'm wanting more lately... so... I've been reading reviews...

Reviews are very mixed.

Advantage of nook:
sd card

more memory (1 gig vs the 512 mb in kindle)

more storage - at least you have an sd card you can put in it to add up to 32 gigs. Can't do that with kindle.

clearer picture since it doesn't have gorilla glass, so there is more contrast, which makes stuff like netflix look better, similar to the way plasma has deeper darks than lcd screens in hd tvs.

Up until a few weeks back - you could side load apps to nook WITHOUT ROOTING. I've read at least one comment on a blog/article that says that at least one person at Barnes and Noble has indicated that feature will be coming back real soon... I've read that in the past kindle could do similar sort of at least with the google app market, but have read that both are locked to their own app market at least for now... which sucks for nook users since nook has fewer apps in their market.

Advantage of Kindle = cloud access... but at least 2 reviews I've read say that browsing is actually faster on the Nook despite this, which I can only assume is because nook has 1 gig ram while kindle only has 512 mb ram... proble with cloud access is what if you are travelling and are not on a wifi network?... the apps that depend on the cloud won't work... so having extra space on sd card for that sort of situation would make nook the winner.

Honestly, with newer stuff coming out all the time (CES IS THIS WEEK I THINK), which might not be locked to any one app market, i.e. novo 7, transformer prime, cell phones like atrix 2 purchased outside of cell phone contract, etc., I think the real winner is the gizmo that can manage to keep all the app stores open with a sort of net neutrality thing. It'd be completely stupid to have to pay 2+ bucks for some app in one store when it's absolutely free in another. I HATE DRM and being locked in to one app store.

Oh, almost forgot to mention... MAJOR DISADVANTAGE to barnes and noble app store - you CANNOT even download FREE stuff without having a credit card on file in their system. Amazon at least lets you one click purchase free stuff without having cc in the database, which is nice so you don't accidentally one click something you didn't mean to buy, etc.

Last edited by mastermesh; 01-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote