View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Centering and adjusting the width of a block

Hi all,

This is more about CSS than ePUB, but I want it to work in ePUB readers, so I guess I can ask here anyway.

The thing is I have the chapter titles in an ePUB defiened just with <h1>Chapter 1</h1>, and want them to appear horizontally centered and with a line below that extends a bit (say 1em) left and right. What rules could I use in the CSS for h1 {} ?

Let's see:

Code:
  text-align: center;
  border-width 0 0 2px 0;
is no good. The title is centered, but the line extends all the way to left and right borders of the page

Code:
  border-width 0 0 2px 0;
  margin: 0 1em 0 1em;
is better, but still the margin is measured from the page border inwards, and I want it to be measured from the text limit outwards. In fact, this works:

Code:
  border-width 0 0 2px 0;
  padding: 0 1em 0 1em;
  display: inline;
but the text is not centered in the page, and the vertical spacing is screwed (that's what you get with an inline element).

At the end I found this to work in the browser:

Code:
  border-width 0 0 2px 0;
  margin: auto;
  padding: 0 1em 0 1em;
  display: table;
But alas! It doesn't work in ADE, the chapter title is displayed twice instead, and left-aligned.

Does anyone have any solution?

(and no, text-decoration: underline is no solution for this )
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote