View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfolk View Post
One thing still happening, though, is "Sacred Memories" is appearing on a separate page before each chapter and towards the bottom of the page. I've looked at the file in Sigil and don't see any indication of a page break either in CSS or the HTML, but then I'm not very experienced in this area either.
You'll be pleased to know the answer to this one is very simple. Using Chapter 3 as an example, you have 13 blank lines hard-coded into the HTML between the "invisible" heading and 'Sacred Memories'. They look like this:
Code:
<p class="BeginChSpace"> </p>
If you remove some/all of them 'Sacred Memories' will move higher up the page. I considered doing this for you but decided it wasn't for me to decide. I tried to leave your HTML as untouched as I could.

Quote:
This is not happening in those chapters with illustrations, which look exactly like they should.
Same reason. You appear to have removed most of the hard-coded blank lines for these chapters.

Quote:
I noticed there's a lot less code. Did you clean it up? One of the things Word does when you "save as HTML" is include a cornucopia of font CSS and I don't see that anymore.
If you mean entries like this in the CSS:
Code:
@font-face
	{font-family:"Courier New";
	panose-1:2 7 3 9 2 2 5 2 4 4;}
Yes, there were 3 of them. I did remove them, force of habit, as I've never found that they did anything other than make the place look untidy I should have mentioned it. Sometimes there are hundreds of them. Other than that I am not aware of any changes I made other than the ones I listed in my previous post.

Compared to many Word-generated HTML files I've seen I thought yours was relatively clean. I suspect that save-as Webpage-filtered, or whatever the Mac equivalent is, would also have got rid of a lot of the mso-bidi-... type stuff.

Word will generate very clean HTML if you apply named styles. It looked to me as if this was mainly what you'd done.

However, its CSS is a lost cause in my experience. For my own books I remove all the Word-generated CSS and add a link to a standard ebook CSS file.

Quote:
Thank you for all your efforts, Jackie. I deeply appreciate it!
You're welcome.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote