View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Exclamation Re-selling DRMed ebooks: Legal or not?

I think about selling 1 or 2 of my readers, which I rarely use.
I'd like to "spice things up" a bit by adding (some of) the dedicated DRMed ebooks I've bought for the respective unit(s).
My question:
Is it legal (in Germany and in general) to sell the DRMed ebooks?
I've found some answers in the forums, but would like to have more detailled input.
My personal guess:
It's probably not legal.

Thoughts:
Yes, it's legal to sell the DRMed ebooks::
- They still would be DRMed. The buyer of the respective ebook reader wouldn't be able to distribute or even re-download them.
- I wouldn't sell them separately, but bundled to a specific reader. They'd be bound to that specific reader.

No, it's NOT legal to sell the DRMed ebooks:
- Theoretically, I could cancel the ebook reader I've sold from my ebook account, add a new one, reload the books on that again and sell this unit "fully loaded" again. (*)
- I still could read (some of) the ebooks on my other devices. (**)

(*) IMHO, that's not too practical. Mobipocket and others track the number of units in your account. They limit this number (to 4 or 6 at once) and probably easily could document, whether one has had 2, 20 or 200 readers per year active in his account.

(**) Is this actually harming anyone? Now I can read them on up to 6 units as well.

What are your thoughts or informations?

Another, more aggressive question would be:
Where is the line? If, for example, Mobipocket allows 4 units at once:
I could use those 4 activations on my PC, 2 of my ebook readers and on another ebook reader of my wife.
Obviously, I'm allowed to loan it to her.
- But what would be, if I sold it to her? Or to my neighbour instead of my wife?
The distributors REALLY should find a more convenient and convincing solution....
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote