Thread: MobileRead March 2013 Special Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I am in shock and awe that 20,000 Leagues won. When I first looked at the ten final nominees, there was no way I would've ever predicted that that one would win.

Just kidding! Actually, when I first saw the nominees for this month, I thought right away that 20,000 Leagues would probably win. It's fiction, it's sci-fi, it's free and it's famous. It was obvious. What I am surprised about is that something else gave it a run for its money. Unfortunately for suspense's sake, I was thinking that 20,000 Leagues would win this run-off poll too so the ties and close-to-ties weren't all that suspenseful. I just had that feeling that no matter how many votes Bryson got, Verne would end up at the end with at least just one more, and lo an behold!

Anyway, I would like to read it and I've never done so, but I'm not sure if I will this month. The concerns I brought up about the translation were real and valid, and I'll look into it some more. But if a possibly "best" version is about to come out, then I don't want to read a second-rate one when the better one is just around the corner, and it's not like this is just any ordinary book with the translations. This book has had major problems with them.

By the way, I blame this all on issybird! Judging by your other posts in the vote threads, you weren't even that into reading the Verne in the first place!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote