View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
As a Canadian, I don't see why it's so hard to understand Kobo's dominance in Canada. It's all about marketing, market presence and product visibility and access. A large part of it is Kobo's partnership with Chapters/Indigo, Canada's (only) major bookstore chain. If you read books in Canada, you know and likely go to Chapters/Indigo and associate buying books with Chapters/Indigo. So when people switch from books to ebooks, those same people associate ebooks with Kobo because that's what's available and marketed at Chapters/Indigo. Other ereaders are available but none of them are as accessible and straightforward to use in Canada as Kobo. It also helps a lot that the Kobo products are decent products - not perfect and maybe not even best in all categories but very competitive.

I just bought my first ereader this year and after looking into all the options I went with a Kobo Glo. And so far in ebook buying, I've done most of my buying from Kobo - they have almost everything I want to buy and, using the coupons available, I get very decent pricing, and no exchange rate fees.

So, in Canada, for most of the ereader/ebook buyers, Kobo just makes sense - and until some other company is willing to spend dollars in marketing and product accessibility, it's likely going to continue.
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote