View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The advantage of reading multiple news sources is you can compare the different flavors of koolaid.
I do read multiple news sources. Preferably ones, like the New York Times, and Washington Post, that present a variety of views and generally try, to the extent reasonably possible, for objectivity.

And I just found the supposed koolaid:

A few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission. The graver problem is a disengaged performance that rarely suggests the terrors Katniss faces, including the fatalism that originally hangs on her like a shroud. What finally saves the character and film both is the image of her on the run, moving relentlessly forward.

I can't judge the review. But as far as claims being thrown around the web that the above is somehow going to push young women into being anorexic, I would balance it against Gina Kolata's repeated stories, published in the Times over the years, describing research which debunks the value of weight control efforts.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote