View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #25
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I just got back from a business trip last night and found the package with my new V3 waiting for me. (From what my wife told me, TNT has made a mess of the shipping. If it hadn't been for the minor miracle that our phone number was the only piece of contact information they somehow managed to keep intact, I very likely still wouldn't have the unit, but that's a different story.) So I haven't been able to toy around much, but here are my thoughts so far:

1. e-Ink is awesome. 800x600 doesn't sound like much in this time of 1600x1200 monitors, but boy does this look nice!
2. The UI is not designed by Apple, but it sure looks like it'll get the job done in a no-frills, no-unnecessary-features way. I like stuff that doesn't get in the way or tries to out-smart me in the most stupid fashion possible, so yay! I haven't yet gotten the Recent Files folder(s) to do anything useful, but we'll see about that.
3. Hierarchical folder support FTW. At a predictable 8 items per page, it should be possible to organize all my 1000-odd ebooks into a tree with minimum average access time on the included 1 GB memory card (no book more than 4 clicks away from the bookshelf index).
4. Whoever created the Robinson Crusoe .WOL that came pre-installed on said memory card needs to get slapped about the head with something hard and heavy. The same goes for whoever decided that this was a good file to present to the unsuspecting uservictim as a first impression. That... thing is full of errors: commas where there should be full stops, words running into each other without an intervening space, wonky formatting. It is, quite frankly, a mess. Doubly so as it could easily have been avoided had someone cared to do a proper job of it.

Next items on the TODO list:
- Play around some more with the gadget.
- Find a tool that takes a directory full of files and generates a fixed-width directory tree of minimum depth with human-readable folder names (e.g. A-Bra, Brb-Cel,...), or failing that, build one myself.
- Read.
- Post to MobileRead.

Last edited by Gudy; 02-20-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote