View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You are probably correct that the instructions may be a little limited, but not really out of date. The instructions are more aimed at using a simple SSH client than using WinSCP, but WinSCP is much more convenient and easy to use by the simple point and click methods that Windows users are used to. Even so, the required information is all there, but the instructions do seem to assume a certain degree of computer literacy. For instance, the instructions require that you set your own PC's IP address for the USB network connection to 192.168.111.2 That instruction may sound like Latin to the average Windows user, since Windows users are probably more used to having DHCP do all the work for them instead of having to set up a static IP. I know that most of my family and friends would get lost right there.

However, once it is set up correctly, using WinSCP to manage the on board library is much more convenient than using an SD card. I avoid the SD card as much as possible because it is an extra drain on the battery, and some users seem to have had reliability issues when solely using the SD card.
Dave: Thanks for the enlightenment, which does make me feel better. In fact, I was in past years a fairly well-versed user of Linux (and in fact have it as a dual-boot -- Ubuntu -- on my desktop, which I regret I now seldom use). But I would prefer not having to go back to Linux for my setting up of my OpenInkpot. Of course, you are no way suggesting that I do.

I raised the issue of the new snapshot(s) being geared more towards storing one's library on the SD card rather than main memory only because that was the sense of an earlier thread -- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50192 -- on the subject.

For myself, I would prefer continuing to store my library on the main memory, but only if I could manage to set up the WinSCP link. While I know my way aroung Linux reasonably well, it's my wife (the computer programmer)
who really knows her way around Windows. I have initially (inexplicably?) gotten bogged down (as you surmised your family would also) by your statement "For instance, the instructions require that you set your own PC's IP address for the USB network connection to 192.168.111.2" I haven't yet figured out where in Windows I go to do this. Then there's the issue of downloading and installing linux.inf. The instructions presume one has already downloaded it, but don't say where from, and once downloaded or installed, where it's to be found when the need arises to "point to it." Also, WinSCP requires the insertion of a "key." What and where is this? Anyway, I feel like a bit of a jerk in not being able to sort all these things out on my own, considering my general computer literacy.