View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #65
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
So you're saying that there's no point in designing a system where people are allowed to exercise their legal rights, because everyone is a criminal.

Sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy to me.
That's not what I meant.

I meant that I don't think the system will come around as the publishers don't want second hand sales. The biggest boon of digital content for them is the death of the 2nd hand stores when decades down the road all content is digital only.

They'll stick with DRM as long as they can, and eventually drop it and just deal with piracy like the Music industry has. And at least be happy that used book stores are a thing of the past once paper books are largely gone (again, decades away).

I do think that such a system wouldn't be widely used if they did design it as people don't have much incentive to sell digital goods as there's no tangible product involved. But I don't think that's the reason we won't get a system for selling e-book legally. The reason is publishers don't want fair use and used sales, so they aren't going to build such a system.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote