View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #69
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A good point, unfortunately, encouraging people to keep ebooks in pdf format is even worse than encouraging them to use .mobi
Oh, yes, I completely agree. I didn't mean pdf is a good ebook format, I just meant that mobi isn't really the iLiad's "default" format.

Actually, it's kind of funny: the iLiad supported pdf first because it was originally designed for use by business people, who usually read documents in pdf format. iRex added mobi support later, probably as a response to the large number of users buying the iLiad for use as an e-book reader. But it wasn't designed for e-book reading in the first place...

In general I have to say that a modern, extensible, reflowable standard format for ebooks would be A Good Thing.

I wouldn't worry about mobi sticking around in the long term. Considering that the mobi format has no embedded font support, I expect we'll drop it as soon as e-books become popular in non-English languages...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote