View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #105
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the UK, the loser of a court case pretty much always has to pay all the winner's legal costs, in addition to their own. Is this not the case in the US?
In the US, that generally is only the case if it is agreed to by both parties before the decision. I've known people who have been broke from legal fees, despite winning the case.

Hell, there are times when reparations are ordered (such as in a criminal case), but never made. My parents owned a store, and one time, it was broken into after hours. The guys who did it was caught, and one was ordered to pay reparations to my parents. However, he never did, and when the case worker was contacted about that, she said "But poor Joshua doesn't have a job, so cannot afford it". "Poor Joshua" was 16 years old, lived at his parents million dollar plus house, and had everything bought from him, including a luxury car. He had no need for a job. Being that he was still a minor, that would have meant his parents would also share the responsibility, yet nothing ever came to fruition.

In that aspect, the legal system here is a joke.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote