View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #39
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Btw., since you're already 'here' - do you happen have a pointer to firmware/software update (procedure/safety) documentation?

Do the update routines reside in the bootloader? Initrd? Another partition? Or does one have to fear bricking a device by replacing files in the regular file system?
You could give a look at this post of mine.

I didn't mention there that the bootloader runs the update kernel+initramfs only if you hold down the "ok" button (if there is no update file, nothing happens, except displaying messages).

Just replacing files in the root filesystem will do no permanent harm. A bad flash can brick the device, since the initramfs where most of the updating procedure is gets updated as well, leaving you unable to update again; however that update is done last, so you should be able to log in the M92 and fix everything by hands.
Also as long as the bootloader is good you should be able to flash a good image manually, but I don't know how to connect to the serial port (no obvious serial/jtag pin header).

Hope this helps!
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote