View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You seem to be describing sending data to the cloud for open files. What about the other way? Will dropbox modify the db using data from the cloud when calibre has the db open?
No. If I have dropbox open on my machine and someone on another machine decides to add a book(which is a no-no) my computer will never see that book. I might get a file called metadata(Home-machine's conflicted copy 2010-12-27).db file on my machine. This tells me the machine that created the file and the date it was created/updated.

Since I am the only person who updates things it isn't a problem. But last week I did leave calibre open on my home machine and updated many files on my work machine. I restarted calibre but certain books were missing or covers were missing. Because the database file structure entries were updated but the metadata.db file wasn't.

Upon realizing what I had done I closed calibre then went into the calibre library and copied the conflicted metadata.db file to metadata.db, restarted calibre and all of my changes were there. I could also have gone to the web and restored the last updated version that was timestamped while I was at work.

Using dropbox you do have to pay attention when you have apparent errors or the fix might take a lot longer then it should. In the above case it took just a couple of minutes. If I didn't realize the nature of the problem I could easily have cursed out calibre (when in fact it would have been human error) and entered everything again.

So far restoring books from my dropbox as protected me from myself more then once.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-04-2011 at 08:01 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote