View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #100
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Anybody else noticing odd word spacing in the latest Freda update? Here are screenshots of old Freda (actually the current Freda+ version, since it hasn't been updated) and new Freda. The old Freda screenshot uses the non-XNA renderer because the old XNA renderer works poorly with thin serif fonts. In the new Freda, the option to choose XNA or not is gone, so I assume it's a completely new renderer (probably based on the original XNA code?). I've tried to get my settings as close as possible between the two, with font size and borders being roughly equivalent. In the new renderer, words are spaced significantly farther apart. I don't think it's just a more aggressive hyphenation algorithm on the old renderer (the new one will only hyphenate if there are 4 or more characters before and after the hyphen), and letter spacing seems fine. It's just word spacing that's an issue.

Needless to say, I find the less-dense renderer to be much more difficult to read due to the rivers created by the extreme word spacing. I know I could switch to a ragged right edge, but I prefer to read justified (and I actually have Freda set to use the book's justification, which in this case is full).

Edit: Also, completely unrelated to word spacing, I'm no longer able to see the "pages read / total number of pages per chapter" in the context menu screen. I like to have the "full book pages read / total pages in the book" in the footer of each page, but with the old Freda I could go into settings and see where I was at in the current chapter.

Last edited by toddos; 11-05-2013 at 03:42 PM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote