View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Not that far into it yet, I'm afraid (been a little side-lined by life stuff, I feel), but so far I'd call it 'okay'. I remember reading this about - um? - 15-20 years ago, when I was practically a teenager and loved crime fiction. I remembered Chandler's novels as good, but today I have a somewhat different view of what constitutes good writing, so I felt apprehensive about reading this. Fortunately my fears were easy to lay to rest. I still like the style of those well-placed one-liners. The overall pace of the story, the story itself, somehow fails to grab me. Though... I'm not sure it should all be blamed on Mr. Chandler - at least as far as I'm concerned.

Chandler can do something special with language and writing that I don't feel has diminished at all since this was written.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote