View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #367
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvirtual View Post
In this particular case I had to do three steps: cut the page in two using -grid, remove the scan artifact margins (because on each second page the scan artifact margin was on the different side, and the text was not in exactly the same position as the previous text), and finally adapt the book to my ereader screen.

When doing multiple step conversion quality of pdf's gets lost... The text in the final version looks much worse than the original.

is there a way to avoid image quality loss? Maybe this could be done by enforcing use of lossless image format?
If you use native mode (-n) in the first couple of steps, there should be no loss of fidelity at all--you can use -n as long as you aren't doing re-flow. But even if you don't use native mode, you just need to keep the output resolution high enough, and you should be fine. Use the -dr option to increase the display resolution of the output PDF file if you are not using native mode. E.g. -dr 2 will double the default output resolution. The image format within the PDF file (when not using native output mode) defaults to lossless (.png), so you shouldn't have to change that. If you can't get it, then post a few more pages of your sample and the commands you are using, and I can check and advise.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote