View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
selfdrive
selfdrive began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook3
IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THE KINDLE PREVIEWER?

I have made a book using html and MobiPublisher. This works fine in Mobi Reader, K4PC, and using the downloaded Kindle Previewer, looks good in Kindle Fire preview, Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for iPad.

But when viewed in Kindle and Kindle DX, using the downloaded Previewer the right side and bottom of the cover is cut away. That is it does not fit in the display. Yet it fits in the other previews e.g. iPhone.

The cover is jpg 800 high 600 wide about 90kb. I have experimented with changing the ratio, making it skinnier, smaller etc, but still the same. I have tried with different covers and created different books. But always the same problem.
I note many people have internal problems with images. But this is just the cover.

I have downloaded 3 ebook samples from Kindle (at random). All have exactly the same problem as I have with my ebooks. I have also downloaded a free ebook, complete, which also has the same problem. The covers do not fit in the Kindle Previewer when the Kindle DX and Kindle are selected.

I've read elsewhere that the Kindle Previewer does not show internal images correctly when samples are downloaded. But I assumed it would show the cover correctly. Besides I have not downloaded my ebook. I want to see if it looks okay before uploading it.

Is this a Kindle Previewer problem? If so why isn't there more queries about it? That leads me to believe it is only my problem. But I have the latest Kindle previewer. I have re-downloaded it, reinstalled it twice, always with the same result.

Here is another aspect: ebooks for Kindle use the same file as mobi, with a different extension (prc). I can open files with Mobi Reader and I can also transfer them to my Cybook 3 reader, which reads Mobi/ Kindle files. When I do this, these covers are okay.

I am puzzled as to why I seem to be the only person having this problem with the Kindle Previewer. I can't find anyone else having this problem. Or is it something everyone else knows about?

Selfdrive
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote