View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
(free) Kindle-- 2 by John R. Maxim - Thriller/ mystery/Adventure

at Amazon, 2 free books today by traditionally published John R. Maxim.
These would probably be classed as Thrillers, Action/Adventure, or mystery (mystery probably at the library, but the other 2 genres are probably more accurate.)
Whistler's Angel (The Bannerman Series)
http://www.amazon.com/Whistlers-Ange...275194&sr=1-14

The protagonist is a 'sanctioned' assassin for shadowy US government agencies, who wants out of the game. This book is listed as part of Maxim's Bannerman series, but it seems more a parallel series to me.

Also offered, The Shadow Box
http://www.amazon.com/The-Shadow-Box...275599&sr=1-10
This one is not part of a series. Normal guy forced by circumstances to do extraordinary things.

If you enjoy Lee Child's 'Reacher' series, the Donald Westlake/Richard Starker series, or Thomas Perry's 'Butcher boy' books, I think you'll like Maxim very much.
I've read all the John R. Maxim I can get my hands on at the library, and would buy a paper version of any I ran across at the used book store, so I'm excited to find these.
If this is in your vein, I'd also suggest that you go over to the Reading Recommendations forum (on MR), and read thru a recent thread started by Hard-boiled Pat titled "who's your Hard Man" for a lot of good suggestions on authors/series that also fit this genre. (Thanks, hard-boiled Pat!)

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote