View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thumbs down Help With Reader Library and Reader for Mac

So, until now I've only had Reader Library. It pretty much sucks, mainly because it is so slow. When I'm on a list of books and try to scroll it LAGS so bad, and I'm on a good new mac where all other kinds of various programs work great.

So I just found out about Reader for Mac and thought it sounded interested, so I downloaded it, and when it asked I said yes it could sync with Reader Library so it'd have my library. One thing I love about Reader for Mac is that it doesn't lag which automatically makes it better almost no matter what else.

But two things I don't like about it. First, when it opens it takes up the space of my screen from top to bottom, and I have my dock on the bottom, so the bottom of the window (mainly the part with controls) goes behind the dock. And it will not go any smaller! It will go wider or narrower, but it will not move up or down, stuck filling the screen from top to bottom.

So, I had to turn my dock on hiding when I was using Reader for Mac so that I could see the entire window, and even then, I still thought, well, at least it doesn't lag and is fast.

Second, it constantly shows this "cannot find reader" box when I open the software up. Like, uh, the reader's not plugged in yet, hold your horses. But I'll say OK then it just pops up again. And I think it's never going to stop when it finally stops like after five times of popping up.

So then I plugged in my reader to sync a new book and....nothing. I tried to search the internet and probably it's right in front of me but I'm not tech savvy enough and I'm not understanding. Is Reader for Mac not for my actual Sony Reader? Is it just for using on computers and phones? If so, why would it import my library and change my Reader Library options to not opening when my reader is connected and also having an option for itself to open when my reader is connected?

Because the reader didn't connect with the Reader for Mac, it just started charging when I plugged it in, and I also noticed that I can't figure out how to choose what I want to be synced with my reader on the new software, as if there's nowhere to choose that option.

So confusing! But that's not all! And that's not even really my main problem.

So, with all this, I just decided to get rid of Sony for Mac and bite the bullet and continue using the slow as molasses Reader Library. So I opened it up. It just happened to be in a book at the moment and...the book wasn't there! It said the book had moved or something.

So I went to the main list and all the books are still there in title, but none of them work! They all say the book has moved if I try to open them! But I have no idea where to.

So now I'm thinking instead of "syncing", the Reader for Mac actual TOOK the books from the Reader Library and left it empty.

So I'm trying to find the location of my books on my mac. I searched "reader" and found folders for both "Reader" (which I'm assuming is Reader for Mac wince there's no "Reader for Mac" folder) and "Reader Library"....and both are empty!

Then I even searched for particular books and they're not showing up in my computer! This may be obvious to someone else but I'm lost. I thought the files were always somewhere on the computer. Now it seems as if Reader for Mac somehow gobbled them up into itself and there are no individual files left.

Don't get me wrong, on Reader for Mac, the books are all still there and I can open them and read them on that program but that's it. It doesn't recognise my reader and I can't get the books moved back to Reader Library.

So this is a vent thread but also a plea for help! If someone can help it'd be much appreciated, especially if you can explain to may all this stuff I'm not understanding in simple terms. Am I missing something and this all should make sense, or is there something wrong?

And oh, btw, when I get a new reader it won't be Sony and I will be done with them. I loved my 950 at first and love the quality and some of the features, but the slow Reader Library software, and some problems with the 950 itself (mainly slowing to a snail's pace when I take too many notes), and now this, it's just too much trouble.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote