View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Semantics is the key term here. I really don't care what the internal storage capacity is called or what the technical term for SD card storage is called. All this technical jargon is a moot point. The point I was trying to make is SIMPLY this:

The average consumer sees the 8GB storage capacity of a tablet s/he is considering purchasing. S/he thinks that perhaps that is not enough for all those MP3s, videos, apps, etc. s/he owns. But wait, look here is an SD card slot. So now the consumer's perception is, "Okay I can now live with only 8GB of device storage if I can insert SD cards into it." So s/he buys the device.

Is the consumer's perception correct? It really doesn't matter because s/he made the purchase. Are we using the correct terminology here? Who gives a crap as that has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made.

It is a simple as that. A consumer who is on the fence teeter-tottering about whether to purchase a tablet with only 8GB of storage is probably more likely to purchase this tablet if it has an SD card slot because they perceive that as meaning more storage space.