View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
By a curious coincidence, I'm about to return a Kindle Touch because of the answer to your initial question about JavaScript events....

As far as I can tell, Kindle's experimental browser does not support any touch events. It also does not support mouseup/mousedown correctly. If you tap something, it sends mousedown, mouseup, and click. If you touch and hold, it doesn't send any events at all. I doubt it supports mousemove, but even if it did, it wouldn't be particularly useful without a working mousedown/mouseup or touchstart/touchend.

Also, it has about a two second click latency. When you click a link, it takes about two seconds for JavaScript to start running or for the new page to start loading. This applies to even the simplest content, e.g. <div onclick="alert('Yo.');">Click me</div>.

Also, it does not support the viewport meta tag. Combine that with the lack of touch events, and there's no way to prevent double-tap scrolling.

There's also no way to scroll the browser chrome off the screen, which is only problematic because it takes up about 13% of the screen real estate (most of which is the location bar).

Finally, CSS transforms are a little buggy; scaling in particular tends to result in content disappearing rather than getting lighter, presumably because of poor anti-aliasing support in their display code.

In short, although the browser does a fairly good job at rendering (I think it is based on WebKit), it does a terrible job at doing just about anything with the slightest bit of interaction.

Kindle Touch results from my test tool (http://www.gatwood.net/runtests.html):

onclick: pass
onmousedown: fail
ontouchstart: fail
latency: 2.4 seconds

*shivers*
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote