View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #92
WaltC
Harmonious Grump
WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Nook HD, iPad 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I agree that book titling and OCRing is not useful for me -- I'm converting the scans into epub with FineReader anyway.
Ana,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I really like the idea of converting some of my older/favorite titles.

I hope you don't mind some additional questions?

You're using "ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition"? Does it work on an entire image-only PDF file that you got from 1dollarscan, or did you need to break it up some into smaller chunks? After that, you manually proof it? How long does that typically take? And then you convert it to ebook format?

I was debating waiting for their "Amazon kindle3 (Coming Soon)" to actually happen, but I was starting to think that even when they do that, from a practical standpoint, it would probably still be in image form with an unproofed text layer added on. In which case that's probably not what I'm looking for. (I don't want a bunch of massive image files & I also want something that I can easily convert to other/newer formats as ebook readers evolve.)

Thanks for being the pioneer!
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote