Thread: iLiad Java on the iLiad
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #17
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavrahil
ARM??? Is that the processor or the OS?

I just see linux listed in there with an intel architechture and the iLiad has a 400MHz INTEL X-Scale Processor.

Sorry I am not really savy in those thigs yet.
The history of the ARM chip is a adventureous one. As you may know, it was the "Archimedes" family of chips, a british computer system. They evolved into a architecture suitable for portability and particularly for ebooks (I remember an announcement in this sense already in 1995-96). But Apple got controls of the company in the age of development of the Newton, and delayed its general use (it was claimed to be just a chip to be user in postscript printers).

After the Newton fall, the company went into a licenseeing politic. This is, they do not fry the chip, they just let other companies to made it. Intel got the rights to produce it, and created the line XScale for this production. I am not sure if it is property of Intel anymore, btw.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote