View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #762
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks

But - I used QC to swap FN and LN on my 7000+ book media library (612GB, repeat 612GB) - it took a few seconds. That was on an NTFS compressed, indexed, AV active, 2TB, SATA 2, drive, on a 6GB i5.

The same library takes about 2.5 hours to backup to an external USB 3.0 drive (which is faster than the internal SATA2 - same disks, 2TB WD Caviar Black).

Why the difference - the renaming, moving & deleting is done within the NTFS Master File Table (MFT), which is preallocated (and usually contiguous) space, and it operates like a database, in that 'records' don't have to be written to sector boundaries.

BR
You have top-o-the-line equipment

My drive is SATA2 but my MB is only SATA(1) Most renames still only take seconds.

My backup Sata WD Green 1T (in a USB/SATA case) has dead folder issues that W7 or Linux does not seem to be able to repair
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote